Home Page Forums Community International Archive Gateway How to factory restore F454 Web Server

Gateway
How to factory restore F454 Web Server

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dchramcow 27/04/2016 at 20:26.

• Verified

I have a F454 Web Server that I'm currently locked out of (I can't remember the username +  password) is there a way I can factory reset this unit so I can use the default user and password?

User
    dchramcow
    Role
    System Integrator
    52 posts
    Verified

Nevermind. Brain fart.

Changed the password through MyHome Suite 3.2. Sorry guys.

User
    dchramcow
    Role
    System Integrator
    52 posts
    Verified

Hi dchramcow,

I think your question is not necessarily within the category ("brain …") you placed it in 😉 … I think it is a good general question: What to do in case of forgotten passwords?

You did forget your admin and/or user password for the web interface, right? Yes, these can be "reset" via sending a new configuration to the F454. But what if one forgets the so called OPEN password (old or new HMAC-based authentication)? Without that password, one won't be able to download any new configuration — unless one uses the unfortunate "IP range" thingy to circumvent authentication, which is generally a very very bad idea.

So let's say one has forgotten the OPEN password and does not have any "IP range" exception enabled? What can we do?

For firmware version v1.x there is one way into the system: The by-default password-less root user. The firmware is running a getty process on the system's first UART, which is wired to the front-panel UART connector (below to mini-USB). So login is possible there, including the possibility to edit the config. files manually (removing the password).

v2.x firmware finally got a root password, so this backdoor is closed.

Anyone with more ideas?

User
    joftr
    Role
    Enthusiast
    132 posts
    Verified

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

I was able to upload a new configuration to the F454 with a new set of accounts.

Now, regarding your scenario, I wouldn't know, I would like the answer to that as well.

Thanks for replying btw.

User
    dchramcow
    Role
    System Integrator
    52 posts
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.