Home Page Forums Community International Develop Integration RGB LED strip controller integration

Integration
RGB LED strip controller integration

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MarkyMark 03/05/2017 at 15:25.

• Verified

Hi,

I am going to be installing RGB or RGBW LED strips for an outdoor lighting application. I was wondering if there is a way to control them from the BUS. This Video shows someone has done it but no information as to how. Has anyone else got something similar working?

Thanks Mark

User
    MarkyMark
    Role
    Enthusiast
    146 posts
    Verified

If you want a standard bticino solution, you need F459 with driver for DMX or HUE.

Or you can use other solution, search on google DMX bticino or HUE bticino

User
    ivanberton
    Role
    System Integrator
    55 posts
    Verified

Thanks. My head is spinning with it all.  I had also come across suggestions for using Arduino and L4686sdk gateway.  As noobie who has  dabbled a bit with Raspberry Pi’s it still seems like a lot of learning and effort just for a few lights… at least my case. The DMX stuff looks to be more for commercial set ups with prices to match.

I just wanted to control RGB, RGBW LED strips to light up my porch using myhomescreen 10 touch panel to control them but now I am thinking I don’t have the skills nor the patience to get it working.  I am open to some encouraging words and ideas though 🙂 so I might not give up just yet.

The lazy way, line of least resistance, would be to use an LED WiFI controller and phone app or a controller with its own remote as for most normal folks… and forget integrating LED strips with BTicino.

User
    MarkyMark
    Role
    Enthusiast
    146 posts
    Verified

I use the 002633 DALI unit to control colour strip with 3 osram OTDALI units. You can then create colour rotation scenes with the MH202.

For a simpler solution you can just switch the DC lines for red, green and blue through an F411/4 to give 7 fixed colours.  Obviously you will have no fades and limited colour options with this one but I find this can work for a lot of application.

User
    eugeneduffy
    Role
    Wholesaler
    74 posts
    Verified

MarkyMark,

I’m looking to do the same thing, but all over the house.  Im looking for a DALI driver for the F459 but no one seems to have any info.  I’ve come to understand that the DMX driver also handles DALI though again, I keep getting pushed to my local Legrand Agent who knows nothing and only wants to close down the ticket.

I do not want the 002631 (002633 is not in the french catalogue).

Im getting quite frustrated.

If anyone can suggest how I can get my hands on some documentation for the DMX / DALI? driver for the F459 I’d be really impressed.

User
    joedymott
    Role
    End User
    28 posts
    Verified

I gave up the BTicino integration and touch screen panel control. Too much like hard work and my installer has no idea, no inclination for this level of detail. Its actually not the best way to control my RGBW LED’s anyway. So, I opted for IP65 RGBW Epistar strips with wireless wall controller, wireless multi-zone hand held controller and a WiFi adapter; so I can control them from my phone too. With this setup I can also add my existing RGB strips and control from a  phone app and remote controller. Nice colour wheel etc. I can sync them all together too.

I did however order the touch screen since I planned it for other things anyway.

User
    MarkyMark
    Role
    Enthusiast
    146 posts
    Verified

oh.  Just about sums up the feeling I am getting from Legrand help wise.  I’ve not bothered with an integrator / electrician as there just aren’t any around here, most likely unable to get product support from Legrand… (and I live in France).

That said, I will make it work.  Because I can and do not see why, with DALI being such an industry standard, that I can’t find a solution and Legrand, who sell other DALI enabled parts, are not interested.  They don’t seem to have anything that is capable of running RGBW leds of any shape or format. Very strange.

However, they do own Vantage who make a DALI gateway, just need to find out how / if it integrates with the other Legrand offerings.  Failing that I see from the Belgium Legrand site that they are now selling the YOUUS DMX / DALI gateway.  Unfortunately for me I’m off to work for a while so will buy it (either from Belgium or from Amazon.it) later this year.

Same deal for the F459, nothing available in the way of info on the various drivers, almost as if they have fired the IT dept. supporting these Bticino products.  I am rather annoyed that they are selling another product when the F454 can easily run the same drivers.  Another case of half heartedly trying to make money on the back of being energy efficient without actually supporting the biggest saving anyone can make in a house – LED lighting.

I will make it work and Legrand can get . with their lack of interest in their non-professional clients.  Disappointed.

User
    joedymott
    Role
    End User
    28 posts
    Verified

Ha ha. I was feeling the same old frustrations at the same time you posted . I made a new thread on it and was wondering where is now best to chat with like minded end users. There is plenty of cool stuff to share and discuss but I now feel here is not the right place.

please-suggest-a-good-place-for-myopen-bticino-etc-forum-chat/

User
    MarkyMark
    Role
    Enthusiast
    146 posts
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.